All Ages

Monday, September 26, 2005

SPX 2005



Just got back from SPX and thought I'd share a little since I was berated by many people -- including bloggers David and Joanna for not blogging enough lately. It's true...I've been a bad monkey. Rich Stevens of Diesel Sweeties designed the badges this year and made sure to make the VIP badge as obnoxious as possible. Lucky me I got to walk around with its air of video game pomposity around my neck. (Thanks Steve for the totally unexpected perk!)

My trip to Bethesda was a pretty last minute one when my weekend cottage plans fell through. I managed to hitch a ride with my pal Chris Butcher and his ragtag band of comics creators in a mini van and spent 10-ish hours driving south to Maryland. My intent was to enjoy this show, buy a few cool books for myself and get jazzed into doing my own writing again. I remembered how inspiring SPX was last year and hoped that I'd get the same feeling this year. I didn't really have any intention of doing the whole Scholastic thing this time, although the VIP badge had some people asking questions but I kept my answers to the bare minimum. I wanted to be a bit incognito

SPX isn't really a show with a focus on kid-related material anyways, although last year there was a decent component mostly because of Jeff Smith's attendance and the panel on creating kids comics. Although I did do my rounds and spoke with a lot of great kids comic creators that I had already talked to at the other conventions I attended this year including Andy Runton, Aaron Renier and John Gallagher.

Buying highlights
- buying Hope Larson's SALAMANDER DREAM in person, especially with the rounded corners she manually cut herself with her own corner rounding machine
- finally buying Kean Soo's JELLABY -- very excited to read this

Social highlights
- properly congratulating Raina and Dave on their engagement
- hanging out with the gay comics contingent -- especially my good friends Tim and Kyle

And yes, I did come out of the show definitely all hyped up to start my own work. Mission accomplished...

5 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 AM  

  • ::sigh::

    You came all the way out here but didn't swing by Gemstone Publishing's offices? For shame!

    ;)


    Oh, and you apparently need the word verification enabled. You're getting comment spam.)

    By Blogger Travis, at 9:50 AM  

  • If Butcher had had room in the van I woulda been there.

    By Anonymous Had-Had Manale, at 12:02 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Julian Silvain, at 2:16 AM  

  • hi - is there an email address i could send some info about a cool guitar hero / free chicken promo!?

    By Blogger Angelo, at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home