All Ages

Monday, August 09, 2004

Oh yeah, Disney's doing comics too

Recently, I noticed while standing in line at my local grocery store that DISNEY ADVENTURES magazine was shifting its focus to feature more comics. Some of these are based on animated movies like Lilo and Stitch, some are completely original material and others are new cartoon-ified versions of live action movies like Freaky Friday and Pirates of the Caribbean.

The response to this shift must have been positive because in San Diego I came across a promo pamphlet and preview issue of the new titles coming up from DISNEY's new line of comics. These include:
W.I.T.C.H. (5 girls deal with being teenagers and having elemental powers)
KYLION (a sci-fi adventure series about a group of teens who emerge from cryogenic sleep before their time)
MONSTER ALLERGY (a boy with special powers must deal with monsters and ghosts in his everyday life)

All three of these titles are currently being published in Italy and will be translated for the North American market.

There isn't much information regarding formats or distribution but I know for a fact W.I.T.C.H. WON'T be full color graphic novels -- Disney's releasing them as digest sized prose novels with color comic inserts, which makes me think that someone out there isn't entirely confident in the graphic novel format. I mean, if you're going to go for comics...then publish comics.

The preview issue has a few color pages from W.I.T.C.H. and KYLION, enough to give the reader a good idea what these are about. The art in both is quite appealing but I'm not sure how strong either of these are storywise. W.I.T.C.H. will probably find its audience since it follows some of the typical motifs of 'magical-girl' manga. KYLION has a few things working against it -- the story seems pretty hardcore sci-fi, which doesn't have a broad appeal right now in the greater market and the characters seem a bit generic. Not sure why but it feels a bit too Treasure Planet to me. Sadly, there were no preview pages of MONSTER ALLERGY, which I think looks like the strongest of the three, in terms of art, character design and concept.

Strangely enough, there's no website on the promo pamphlet but if you do a bit of googling on each of the titles you can check out some of the artwork yourself.

1 Comments:

  • there's an episode on youtube as well for monster allergy. the animation's well done.

    By Anonymous jeremy, at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home