All Ages

Sunday, March 21, 2004

Mary Jane -- Good on ya Marvel!

Sean McKeever talks a bit about his new ongoing Mary Jane series (which is really intended to be in the digest format for bookstores) here. I think it's one of the smartest ideas they've had in a long time in getting the teen/tween girls market actually reading comics. I've visited classrooms where 12 year old girls cheer loudly for Archie Comics. If Mary Jane can tap into that look and feel and if Marvel pushes this book in the right places, they could have a nice little hit on their hands. If there was one thing I noticed seeing Spider-Man in the theatres, it was that the audience wasn't solely made up of your typical comic fans, it was also young girls. Mary Jane is a great character they can identify with (sure she's a little older but in children's publishing it's all about aspiration -- 12 year old girls want to read about 16 year old girls) and Tobey McGuire is very much a non-threatening boy heartthrob.

My only concern is this quote from McKeever: "...I write comics for people. With this particular series, we want to keep it appropriate for middle-schoolers...but it’s still not like I’m sitting around, thinking, 'what would a 12-year-old girl want to read?'"

And my answer to that is, he really should be thinking just that, but then again a good editor should be steering him in the right direction. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll come back to this after reading the first issue myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home