All Ages

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Almost a full month after creating this blog, I'm finally taking the plunge into this wacky blogsphere thing everyone is talking about. Essentially I figured it's a good time to start documenting my thoughts my thoughts about comics, books and all the other fun things in life that amuse or piss me off. Hopefully others will come along for the ride. I'll try to be entertaining...

Here's a little bit about me: My name's Scott and I wear many hats -- I've currently been a buyer/editor/product developer for Scholastic Book Clubs (remember those flyers you got in school to buy books from? that's my job...) in Canada for just over 3 years now. I also do a little bit of freelance prose editing, mostly for friends. I also write a weekly column with Christopher Butcher over at www.previewsreview.com where we go through each week's comic releases and comment on them. I try to be positive most of the time...but you know how it goes.

With my experience in the children's book industry, my 20+ years as a comics fan and the recent debates about the lack of proper comics for kids and the constant arguments of whether or not comics should solely be for children or solely be for adults, I've been called to arms to create a blog to deal with these issues.

Have you ever looked at the word 'shoe' so many times that it just doesn't look right anymore? I've called my blog "All Ages" to hopefully do just that -- diffuse its meaning and steal that term away from everyone who uses it. Considering that every aspect of children's publishing is so extremely focused when it comes to AUDIENCE--who the book is for, there's very little use of the term 'all ages.' It's totally noncommittal. I know this issue will come up again and again but I just wanted to put it out there to get the ball rolling.

And so here we go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home